Thursday 15 September 2011

Ravenwood Hall, Bury St Edmunds

It amazes me how few people seem to visit Ravenwood Hall from Bury St Edmunds. Must be the location (or is it the food?). Despite being outside of Bury it is worth getting a taxi to for the enjoyment of the surroundings, which at present are one of the best bits about it. It's a beautiful building - I love the setting, and have always enjoyed the ambiance of the restaurant. Some years back I was a frequent visitor there as the food was marvellous then. I haven't eaten in the restaurant lately - it's got a little pricey and my confidence has been undermined by one or two less than happy dining experiences there a few months ago. I have to say that the meal I had in their pavilion last Christmas as part of a 'works do' was one of the worst I have had in a long, long time - anywhere. I could put it eloquently and say it was 'rubbish' but strictly speaking it was cheap food cooked on a grand scale - tasteless and boring and dreadfully overpriced.

I think as far as their function catering goes, Ravenwood has become incredibly popular - but maybe at the cost of good quality to the general public. Last Friday I met friends there for an evening drink and the bar could not provide us with a glass of cold wine it seemed. We tried several (despite the high price per glass). They were obviously too busy for the wine to get cold. There was a wedding on at the time, but hey.... get your act together Ravenwood.

3 comments:

JayGee said...

AMOT are having their Xmas do there this winter - so maybe I'm glad I don't work for them any more.

juliew said...

At the time of the Christmas 'do' I wondered if they brought out-side caterers in because I couldn't believe they would serve up such poor quality themselves - nevertheless, it still came under the Ravenwood umbrella so they should take responsibility. Friend described her pate as a 'slab of lard'. I think most people go for the disco and party feel - which may have been fine, but I didn't stay long enough to find out.

juliew said...

Of course it's worth mentioning that Christmas venues are always in short supply so caterers can get away with poor quality food - and there must be loads of people not really that bothered about the dining experience.