Tuesday 21 June 2011

Out and About - Norfolk Coast

Hardly a place to pop out to for an evening from Bury, but certainly worth a visit if an opportunity arises.

Chris Coubrough, known as The Flying Kiwi, appears to own about five Hotel/Restaurants in East Anglia. I believe the Crown in Wells was the first he opened following his appearance as a TV chef cooking along the Norfolk coastline. I went to the Crown for lunch on a weekday recently The restaurant was very large - and very quiet on this day (but isn't it odd that a family can have a whole restaurant to choose from and they come and sit at the table next to you?). I intended to have a light lunch but Chris' Black Plate - as I believe it was called, contained about as much protein as I would normally eat from Monday to Friday. The dish was a bit of an eclectic mix of food, which some people would absolutely love, but it was a little too rich for me for lunch. However, there was loads to choose from on the menu and prices were reasonable. I was looking for something a bit different and that's what I got. I would certainly go back and I imagine I would have to book at weekends. The Flying Kiwi himself is very popular and has quite a lot going on at this particular restaurant, including cookery demos etc.

No comments: