Saturday 11 June 2011

LateRooms or Lastminute?

Because of a great looking deal on LateRooms.com I spontaneously booked a room for the night at Caley Hall Hotel in Old Hunstanton. Tch tch, some misrepresentation on their part. Their site claimed I was booking an Executive Double/Twin, normally £280 for last night - £99 as a late deal. Guess I was a bit naive to think I'd actually be saving all that money - well, not saving because I wouldn't have booked that hotel at all if I had known the room was a fairly ordinary double/twin, but I do think their descriptions and rates should tally with the hotel. In fairness - it did say on LateRooms this would be a 'larger double/twin' in Caley Hall's descriptions. But - one would think a room that's normally £280 on a Friday night in June would be pretty up-market. This was not the case, but Caley Hall were not charging that amount for the room as suggested by LateRooms.

I was therefore, disappointed with the accommodation. Beds and decor were very satisfactory but there was no window in the sleep area, so no natural light by day to speak of (just one small window at the end of the suite, which was essentially quite long but narrow). Bathroom needed a bit of sprucing (and I had something of a fight with the shower). There was quite a lot of noise from the room above, and this morning the couple there obviously had a 'last minute' which judging by the banging noise did last only about a minute .... fortunately.

The good news though is that the dinner was excellent. I'd say the average cost of a three course meal at Caley Hall is around £30 per head, but it was the best restaurant evening meal I have had for a long time. The duo of salmon starter I had was beautifully presented and delicious - not a small portion and I could not stop eating it, hence I ate too much. My main course was three different cuts of pork (named farm I presumed to be local) cooked in three different styles. As for the dessert, orange ice-cream in a brandy-snap basket with caramelised lemon tart. I'm not a 'dessert person' but I had to go the distance on this occasion. A rare treat for me - so I won't complain too much about LateRooms ... on this occasion.

No comments: