Thursday 26 January 2012

The Star, Lidgate








This has become one of my favourite pubs around Bury -  it's not as close as I would like (about 20 mins or so) but it's worth the extra drive for lunch or evening dining. I've been a couple of times for lunch so have not got around to trying their extensive menu, which is largely 'Catalan' in style  - and seemingly quite authentic based on what I have had so far.
The pub, which has apparently been described as 'the most perfect pub' in the Telegraph has huge log fires which give off the most lovely wood-smoke aroma adding to the atmosphere of this wonderful old building.
Unfortunately, we were not the only party to discover yesterday that the kitchen wasn't offering the complete menu (a chef short)  after we'd decided what we wanted,  so we had to choose from a 'two courses for £10 special menu. That was however very good value for money, if not as 'adventurous' as I would have liked. As is becoming the norm now, wine seemed a little pricey (but it was a white Rioja).
This has been an amazingly popular pub for sometime now and boasts many food awards. The pub may well live up to it's reputation without high prices (I had delicious sea bream dish there for £12.95) but I will need to go several times to finally make up my mind. What a hardship.

No comments: