Tuesday 10 January 2012

Good Roast Dinners (and not-so-good roast coffee)

In response to a question recently posted on Facebook about finding good roast dinners in Bury restaurants, I would like to suggest that the Decanter on Angel Hill as a probable source . I went in there some time ago when it first opened with new management and had a very good evening meal. My main 'complaint' (if you could call it that) wasn't about the quality of the 'mains' - far from it. The pork meal seemed absolutely up to standard, but the starter was so large I didn't really appreciate the main course. Of course, no-one is obliged to eat a starter but they do help spin-out the meal, turning it into a relaxing evening (or lunch).  Many opt for desserts instead of starters, but I don't have much of a sweet tooth after a main meal and would rather have a small starter at a lower cost.  Few starters are under a fiver now - many nearer £10. Maybe it's not in restaurants' interests now to provide smaller cheaper portions, but I think it would be in the interests of many of the customers.

On to 'fresh roasted and ground coffee'.  I don't drink much caffeinated coffee these days (and it's improved my sleeping enormously), but every so often I fancy a really nice cup of coffee, which I fully expected to find at the Really Rather Good Coffee House today (my praise was effusive after my last visit). This time I was very disappointed to find they no longer serve the variety of coffee I last had and I ended up with their regular brew which was decidely 'wishy-washy'. I think maybe it was simply too weak. They did offer to change it  but there was certainly no beautiful coffee aroma to enjoy, so I declined.  In fact, it really rather reminded me of how my coffee always comes out at home. It's quite a while since I've bought a roast I've really enjoyed and most of them frequently end up with that rather 'plasticy' smell - not unlike that of today in the Really Rather Good Coffee House.  Hmm. Maybe they should rename themselves the Really Rather Good  Lunch House...... at present anyway

3 comments:

JayGee said...

Interested to read this - we nearly went to the Decanter last Wednesday but the vouchers that someone in our party had were not applicable for some reason so we moved to Prezzo in Abbeygate Street. Which was very very nice, though the waitress was so foreign that, combined with unpronouncable Italian names for most dishes, there were some communication problems (solved by the usual 'louder and slower' technique of the English).

Anonymous said...

Sorry your decaff at RRG was disappointing. If the last one you had was also decaff, then in fact we haven't changed it - same coffee. I suspect the problem might have been the grind, which we've had some difficulties with. I believe these are now resolved. Do let me know when you're next free to visit, as a decaff afficionado it would be great to ask you to compare our decaff espresso to our decaff cafetiere, which is much easier to maintain a consistency with. All the best. Andreas.

juliew said...

No, it wasn't de-caff but thank you.
Will return gladly for the quality of the food anyway.