Tuesday 31 January 2012

The Stamp Hut Sticks it Out

The Stamp Hut sits pretty much alone in a row of vacated buildings.  It's sad to see so many empty units in town and there will be more and more if trends continue. It's appalling that the owner of the children's clothes shop 'Millie' in the Buttermarket had her business rates doubled for this year. Whatever is going on?
Beautiful pubs like the St Edmund's Tavern can't compete with chain restaurants for food unless they keep prices low - and quality amazing. After being initially impressed by The Bushel in St John's Street, I now hear the food there is not great these days.  These businesses lose the customers of the 'traditional pub' market (it's fantastic to see how well The Dove is doing) and then fail to find a niche of their own.  
I am quite beside myself to hear we are going to have a 'Zizzi's' in town - yet another pizza establishment. These fast food outlets are generally overpriced for what they offer (especially drinks) and yet still manage to fill up where smaller businesses do not. I remember when The Grid on Abbeygate Street was a special place to go in Bury but over the years has lost it's edge. I understand its days are numbered.
Of course some businesses just move but when the local business rates are so high they risk leaving empty units behind which will remain empty until those setting the tariffs see sense. Or a Sugar Hut moves into town?            

1 comment:

JayGee said...

The Stamp Hut seems the least likely business to survive: I've never seen a customer in there, and Denny's offer a much bigger choice.

I'm quite happy with the arrival of Zizzi but I'd rather have Thing-me-Bobs in there - the new one just isn't the same.

I note that Carluccio's are now doing two courses for £9 something. If only they revealed their opening times!