Tuesday 24 January 2012

Ickworth House


It's taken me a while to write about the restaurant at The Ickworth Hotel. I'm not really sure why -  maybe it's because I'm just not sure what to say. I  wouldn't wax lyrical about it, but neither have I any real complaints
 There were very few people using it on a Wednesday a few weeks back - no more than a couple of tables occupied other than by us. The food was good, very good and not unreasonable in price. It was the wine that seemed to make the meal expensive, especially when drunk by the glass. I really don't know if I'd make a real effort to visit there again soon. I could say if prices were cheaper I would, but maybe it would be fairer to say that if money were no object I would visit on a regular basis. Although I doubt it would be that peaceful and relaxing at weekends (it does promote itself as a family hotel and restaurant) I could choose times to go there when I simply wanted an excuse to feel as though I was a long way away from Bury, but in reality just a few minutes away. It does have something of a 'grand air' about it, although it's not particularly smart or stunning in decor.The grounds are beautiful of course and at least by using the restaurant no-one seems to chase you for a fee to stroll around the park.  I do find the usual cost for visitors to the grounds is ridiculously expensive - it's enough to make you want to join the National Trust!






3 comments:

JayGee said...

The Hotel has a new owner as of December - not sure if that will bring any changes.

As for decor, there are restrictions in the NT lease to stop them destroying any of the history of the place, which may stop them doing what they would really like to.

JayGee said...

The Hotel has a new owner as of December - not sure if that will bring any changes.

As for decor, there are restrictions in the NT lease to stop them destroying any of the history of the place, which may stop them doing what they would really like to.

juliew said...

As I said I have no complaints except for the price of the wine - I rather like the 'faded elegance' look. Too much change would be inappropriate. It has a pleasing ambiance - but I imagine that can change quickly if there are many children about. Of course, the people who can afford to take their children there are in another league