Saturday 12 November 2011

Buying British

A popular chef (French) was complaining on TV a few nights ago about how British plums are so delicious but people just aren't buying them anymore, and yield has gone to waste this year. It's a bit late for plums now, but with this information a few weeks ago I would have gone out and bought some. They can be delicious ....and nutritious,as the song goes, but I guess there are people like me who don't often think of buying plums. But I am now going to take this man's advice and plant a tree of my own, to keep British plums 'alive'. I try to buy British fruit whenever I can. I try to buy British whenever I can.  I was annoyed to find in Asda recently that there was very little choice in British bacon - something that this country produces well. We know on this side of the channel that there are many movements to keep the raising of animals for produce humane, but we also know that we need to support our local farmers and producers. For some families it is down to price and I understand that - especially when raising children is their challenge, but I really believe if people stop and think a little more about their shopping - if it's only one item at a time, it would make all the difference to Britain's farmers if adjustments are made to support them.   Generally,Waitrose actually has a vegetable section, which is composed of local produce.

On my recent visit to Cornwall I tried a great range of local cheeses - some of which are competing admirably with their French counterparts. But it's fair to say, I spent £5 on raspberries off the local market during the course of this week - and I haven't a clue where they came from. I tell myself they tasted British. Must be that Indian summer.



















No comments: