Saturday 28 May 2011

Carluccio's

So the man himself visited Bury St Edmunds this week for a special lunch at the restaurant that bears his name. Well, I hope it was more special than the meals I have had there, otherwise I fear he would have found the whole event rather an embarrassment. Although I do remember one pleasant pasta dish I was served, I would now shy away from their main courses and go for a mixture of starters - which in honesty, they do reasonably well. Having spent many years with an Italian who could cook, I am rather fussy about my pasta, risotto and pizza - and I don't believe the subtle - or robust meat dishes of Italian cuisine can be found around here.
I am not excited by any of the chain restaurants in town. Chain restaurants is exactly what they are, seemingly manned by students on the whole, but despite that, not offering great value for money regardless of their claims. Maybe most people don't care about the cost, or the food - they go for atmosphere, which is fine if you prefer to talk loudly rather than moderately to get yourself heard over the clatter of chairs, feet, dishes and other people generally.

'Food is love' says Antonio C. Hmm, well, love is often blind... apparently.

No comments: