Sunday 29 May 2011

Asian Fusion? - Orissa Restaurant, Risbygate Street

Orissa does good lunchtime and evening deals, and in the last couple of weeks or so I've had both a reasonably priced lunch and a surprisingly reasonably priced evening meal considering that two glasses of wine were included. Originally Orissa claimed - or so I thought, that they were an Asian 'fusion' restaurant. I'm not sure about that description or indeed whether they still make that claim, but in some respects I'd call it the only Asian 'Nouvelle Cuisine' restaurant I've ever been to. Their portions are not huge, which is no bad thing if quality and price are good, but being aware of this on my last visit to supplement my main meal I opted for a Tandoori King Prawn starter, which was I believe just over £5. Prawn being the operative word. I was presented with one largish prawn (but not very largish). It tasted fine and looked beautiful, but it passed as a nibble rather than a starter. I tend to think that usually starters are not a good idea in Indian restaurants - you end up with too much food. Orissa's management obviously has other ideas.

I'm anxious to try other dishes so am going again for lunch this week. I don't eat out that often so it is quite a compliment from me.

No comments: