Tuesday 6 March 2012

The Coffee House, Bury St Edmunds

On a miserable, wet Sunday afternoon, my friend and I received a very warm and sunny welcome from the couple who run this new coffee bar in Bury (top of St John's Street).
Barbara and Luk (spelling??) are from Poland and they certainly seem to know their stuff when it comes to coffee. They were able to explain to me why much of the coffee I buy from cafes these days tastes what I have described as 'plasticy'. If you want to know why go in and ask them. Unfortunately I didn't get to really taste their coffee as I fancied an espresso with ice-cream (affogato?), and there you only get a mild coffee taste.  But I will certainly go again. Within minutes, Barbara was like an old friend. She makes all the cakes and sweets in the cafe, and Luk - unobtrusive and constantly busy behind the counter is a trained barista. Their herbal teas - purchased from the nearby deli, smell beautiful.

I really hope this venture works for them. They deserve it and these are the sort of businesses that should flourish in Bury. I can never remember the name of ... goodness what is it called......?




Oh yes, Starbucks. What a scruffy looking place that is - drab and in need of a good lick of paint. If I want to feel depressed I'll go in there. If I want to be cheered up, I'll go in to see Barbara and Luk (Luc) in the Coffee House, St John's Street.




1 comment:

Lukasz Wojtowicz said...

We would like to thank the blog author for visiting us and letting her readers know about our enterprise. Today when i am writing this comment is easter sunday and we have some of our regular guests keeping us company... Thank you all we promise to upkeep our standards and keep providing you with exelent coffee and homemade specials. Thank you !!!